04 August 2006

Some things do actually work out

Last night after class, I found a parking ticket on my windshield because I forgot to display the $85 parking permit I bought last August. Needless to say, I was annoyed at myself, my own forgetfullness, to no end.

I wrote an appeal email when I got home, in hopes that someone might show a little lenience. But the parking operations here is not known for its merciful dealings.

Here is what I wrote:

I am writing to appeal a ticket (No. #########) I received in the Library parking
lot this evening, Thursday, the 3rd of August at 18:53.

My vehicle was not displaying my parking pass (here I gave my permit #), however, I own one which was sitting inside my car. I remove the pass when driving (which is stated in All caps on the permit itself), and forgot to put it back on my rearview mirror when I exited my car for class this evening.

Because this seems to be a very small oversight considering I have a valid permit and use
it every day and because the parking lot was not full, a situation in which the lack of a
displayed permit could mean restricted access for someone with a parking pass to campus
facilities, I feel that this citation should be dismissed.

Thank you for your time and consideration.


This morning, I received a reply:

Greetings,

Thanks for your appeal. I just wanted to let you know that the citation
has been voided, and there is no fine due.

Best,

Parking Operations Employee

When I read this, I was glad that I appealed. $40 is a lot to pay for one minor mistake.

1 comment:

Anthony said...

This is a really great story. I mean it. It is nice to hear occasionally things like this work out.