27 January 2011

Benefits of My School

Sometimes, especially in the winter, I loathe the drive to and from class. Last week, I ended up with 1.5 hours more of driving on the round trip (add that to the normal 3 hours) because of horrible road conditions and accidents galore. Tonight, I also experienced an added 45 minutes on my drive home. The roads hadn't been plowed and it had been heavily snowing for at least 2 hours prior to my leaving class. It stresses me out, more so when I see at least a half dozen cars with flashers on, hanging out on embankments, in ditches, and other scary places near the roadway. I panicked tonight...not sure why, it could have been the caffeine, which I rarely afford myself, but tonight needed desperately in order to stay awake on the drive down to class.

Anyway, the point of this post is to mention one major highlight to the drive down to South Indy. The gas is cheap. I mean, I don't understand gas prices and their fluctuations anyway, but what I know is that typically, where I exit the thoroughfare, the gas is anywhere from 10 to 20 cents cheaper than it is at home, at my exit. I was delighted to see it a full 20 cents cheaper today. I loaded up my only half-empty tank, really excited to have found this deal and knowing I have much driving to do this weekend.

Then, it struck me. Is it worth 20-cent-cheaper gas when you have to drive 80 miles to get it?

I guess if you have to drive 80 miles anyway, it's nice to have a deal awaiting you at the end of it.

(As an aside, I do love my class, too. The cheap gas isn't the only incentive. But I do hate the drive in hazardous weather, which just adds to the fact that I really don't see well at night at all.)

No comments: